life is a series of adventures, not one great one. here's where the energy of my Renaissance Soul lies at the moment...
Teaching English in Hanoi, Vietnam

January 13, 2010

Miss Sarah

Heya folks,
I had a rare evening teaching at the Children's Palace today...in which all four lessons went really well! I'm gradually learning that not every lesson will be successful, but its a great confidence boost when they do go well.
There's been a timetable re-shuffle in my teaching, which I've subtly manipulated so that I'm teaching more younger students. I absolutely love teaching children, much more so than with teenagers and adults, as I find it easy and fun to get the students physically engaged with the lesson...with running or shouting games. It always surprises me how a few materials can go a long way. It's tiring to say the least!
I am prolific at the Children's Palace for using up whiteboard markers with alarming speed, as I always seem to be drawing pictures and diagrams on the board to teach or elicit vocabulary.

Here are a few photos from my lesson on sunday, not quite sure what I was doing here!

Meanwhile, my days and weeks in Hanoi have settled into an easy routine of teaching, cafes, lesson planning and Vietnamese lessons. Tet (the lunar new year) is coming up in a few weeks time, and I have around two weeks off from work. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Tet is celebrated in Hanoi, as I havent been here at the right time before. The week after Tet, I'm planning to head north to SaPa, which is home to many of the ethnic minority groups that live in rural Vietnam. It'll be great to get out of the city for a while, and do some trekking with any luck.

Also...I'm cold! Its turned really rather chilly in Hanoi at the minute, although I know that I have no right to complain, given how cold it is in the UK right now!

SarahHeadsEast xx

No comments: