life is a series of adventures, not one great one. here's where the energy of my Renaissance Soul lies at the moment...
Teaching English in Hanoi, Vietnam

August 18, 2009

Ultimate Adventure

Well its autumn time again, and that can only mean that I must be preparing for a trip. Just cant stand to let the backpack stay stationary and gather dust for too long. Or myself for that matter. Barely let myself unpack and put a load of washing on before I'm applying for visas and dusting off the lonely planet guides again (other travel guides are available).

As the fortune teller at the WOMAD festival said, there is one particular country that is calling me back again and again, and that of course is Vietnam. Each trip brings something new, whether it is teaching English voluntarily or taking a language course. On the most recent trip (february/march 09), it was such a humungous wrench to leave, I had to be dragged off to the airport like peeling a limpet off a rock, or something.

So thats it, its time to be gutsy and make a proper go of the TEFL thing out there. I've given myself 6 months to a year to make it work for real, and I'm in the process of reducing my worldly possessions to the 20kg allowed by Cathay Pacific Airlines (plus laptop as carry-on, thankfully!). I have an initial stint volunteer teaching at the Childrens' Palace in Hanoi, and then who knows? The Ultimate Adventure awaits...

No comments: