life is a series of adventures, not one great one. here's where the energy of my Renaissance Soul lies at the moment...
Teaching English in Hanoi, Vietnam

May 19, 2010

Singapore Sling


Heya Folks,
Tour of Asian Megacities part2......I have officially been in Hanoi for 6months, which means that it's Visa-renewal time! I chose the Asian Megacity of Singapore for my 'visa-run', and have just returned from a fab few days away in this metropolis. Just like Kuala Lumpur, the city and the mtro-system were an absolute breeze to manage, and the city had none of the scariness of London. It was clean, friendly, diverse and extremely efficient.

Although I was only there for a short break, I managed to explore Sentosa Island, billed as Singapore's 'Adventure Playground'. It didnt disappoint. The best part was going up the 'Skytower', the highest obsrvation point in Singapore, for a fab cityscape view that I missed out on in KL.

Later on I found my way to Siloso Beach, which was a fab place to relax for a few hours with my book and a 'Singapore Sling': Singapore's signature drink which was surprisingly strong! It was a perfect moment to marvel at another travel adventure successfully executed.

Later on I wandered my way through one of Singapore's shopping malls, of which there are many to choose from. Having been deprived of clothes for western sizes in Hanoi, I relished the opportunity to buy things that actually fit me and even bought a few things from the Marks and Spencers Singapore branch!


All in all it was a fab trip, but its equally fab to be back in Hanoi. After all, Singapore is a great city, but it doesnt feel like Asia. Once you step inside one of the many, many, many shopping malls, you could easily be in London, New York, or any other city. I did find hints of the bustling Asia that I know and love, especially in the 'Little India' district where my hostel was, but they were relatively tame compared with the chaos of Hanoi.

I arrived back in Hanoi in style. On the back of a motorbike, bugs stuck to my face and belly full of 3000 dong Pho. Is there any finer way to say 'I'm home'?

SarahHeadsEast xx

1 comment:

Jill said...

Absolutely love the look of that drink..The condensation on the glass on a truly hot day. FDab. Would love to have been on the other side of the table with one of my own before me,
Love,
Mother xxx