life is a series of adventures, not one great one. here's where the energy of my Renaissance Soul lies at the moment...
Teaching English in Hanoi, Vietnam

March 25, 2010

Kuala Lumpur Monday

Hey Folks,
Tour-of-Asian-Megacities #1...In between budget flights back to Hanoi from Cambodia I happened upon an afternoon exploring the city of Kuala Lumpur, capital of Malaysia. And what a fantastic afternoon it was. Scarceley have I spent a happier few hours than playing about on the KL metro system (which is a breeze by the way) and zipping between the sights of this megacity.
First off I wandered along Petaling Street, home of cheap T-shirts of the 'Adihash' and 'Nikked' persuasion. Although it was nice for a wander, I wasnt tempted to part with any Riel to prop up the sweatshop trade, so instead I ducked into a cafe for a drink when the afternoon monsoon rains hit.

Next up was the biggie and Kuala Lumpur's star centrepiece - the Petronas Twin Towers, formerly the world's highest buildings, and still I believe the world's highest pair of buildings. They are simply so huge that its almost impossible to get them all in one photograph, and I saw many tourists lying on the ground of the plaza outside the towers trying to acheive this feat. There is a skydeck halfway up, from which it is possible to view the whole city. Did you also know that it is closed on a Monday? No, me neither. Not usually one for being impressed by architecture, it was still just fantastic to see something so iconic in flesh and steel! Another one of those 'How did I get here?' moments.
At the base of the towers sits the Suria KL shopping centre, and stepping inside, I could have been in Meadowhall or the Metrocentre, anywhere, in any city. A completely non-country-specific collection of familiar brands and shops, including this....
...a Harrods outlet in the middle of Kuala Lumpur. How perfectly incongruous.

Not normally a fan of these places at home ("Its not just shopping, its a shopping experience!"), I must admit it was not an unpleasant diversion to wander around for an hour or so and not be out of place, to imagine that I 'could' be in the UK; although I was very pleased when I stepped out into the courtyard with my cheap pizza slice and found that I was in Asia after all.

The only disappointment of the day was finding that I couldnt go up to the observation deck of the Menara KL tower, which a promised a cracking cityscape better even than that from the Petronas towers. I raced around there during the late afternoon so I would catch sunset over the city, but found that they would only let me in if I paid 38RM (about £8) for a tower 'experience', including a pony ride, zoo and F1 simulator. Not having the funds or patience for a such a circus, I declined and went back to the airport to wait for my Hanoi flight the next morning.

Must take a moment to thank the lovely and forever anonmyous Indian lady who woke me up after I fell asleep in the departure gate and very very nearly missed my flight!
All in all a lovely city and a lovely day.

Until Next Time

SarahHeadsEast xx


Like this Post?
Click here for more of my Asian City-breaks in Singapore and Bangkok

No comments: