life is a series of adventures, not one great one. here's where the energy of my Renaissance Soul lies at the moment...
Teaching English in Hanoi, Vietnam

August 17, 2010

Bangkok

Heya Folks,

Last weekend it was visa-run time again, and I decided to tick off another Asian Megacity and pop over to Bangkok, Thailand for a few days of exploring and shopping! Unlike Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, by lucky chance this time I was joined by a few expat friends who also had reason to be in Thailand, and together we hit up Bangkok!

We arrived mid-afternoon friday, and first thing we did was explore one of Bangkok's many shopping malls. DISCLAIMER: Before you call me vain, Hanoi is notably lacking in clothes for western-sized ladies (and gents), so this was more out of necessity than vanity! We spent a happy few hours exploring the city, and zipping around on the Bangkok Skytrain, which once again was a breeze to navigate. Bangkok is undoubtedly as western a city as Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, so we marvelled at finding such delights as *REAL CHEESE*, *STARBUCKS* and *BOOTS PHARMACY!*.
Thankfully, Bangkok still has lovely Asian touches such as the TukTuks which took us around the city, and some really really cracking streetfood. While there we got to try barbequed bananas, barbequed sweet bread (which was so tasty I ended up eating the plastic fork as well), and a really yummy Pho-style soup on our last morning.

Going to see the Temple of the Jade Buddha, and the Reclining Buddha, was one of my favourite parts of the weekend. The Reclining Buddha especially, I completely underestimated its sheer size and peaceful presence it commands. All along one side are small metal bowls, with people passing along in a line dropping coins into them. The sound of coins clinking into the bowls was a lovely one which echoed around the giant hall containing the Buddha.
My friends Ashton and Isobel were keen to try and get an authentic Thai Massage whilst in Bangkok so we were pleased to find a centre in the grounds of the Grand Palace, offering massages to weary tourists. Now, I dont like massages. After a 'Massage-Misadventure' in Long Xuyen, Vietnam in 2005, of which NO MORE WILL BE SPOKEN, I swore I would never get another again. However, with an hour to kill while my friends got de-knotted, I signed myself up for a foot massage from a lovely happy Thai lady. After having worn flipflops every day for 6 months, and then dragging them around Bangkok for two days, I felt they deserved a bit of TLC. So sorry feet, I know you are probably dying to see the inside of a properly-supported shoe, so I hope this makes up for it. It was *heaven*. I drifted in and out of sleep during the hour while the Thai lady did wonderful relaxing things with my feet. They were literally singing with relaxation at the end of the session. Money and time well-spent!
A moment to mention the 'other' side of Bangkok. We ventured out during the evening on friday and saturday hoping to find a quiet bar in which to catch up and relax. Such a thing does not exist in Bangkok. It's as alive at night as it is during the daytime, although it gets notably more seedy the later it gets. The thing about Hanoi, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and other Asian cities is that they do not 'appear' to have a renowned red-light district. Of course I'm sure that such activities go on, as I'm sure they do in every city in the world, but it is very much hidden and secretive. Two adjectives that would not accurately describe Bangkok. There is no red-light 'district', as the sex industry is plastered over the whole city. And it is not hidden, every single street contained 'dancing bars', 'go-go shows', 'live shows', 'happy bars' and the like, and walking through the night markets any foreign men would be accosted on several occasions to try and encourage them to visit such establishments.

The whole thing struck us as really sad, in the true sense of the word. It's all sad, from the young Thai girls and boys who convince themselves and others that they enjoy themselves, to the loneliness of the foreigners who come and take advantage of the industry. You wouldn't believe that prostitution is actually illegal in Thailand the way it is so open. An eye-opening experience indeed. It is always a shock to discover a way of life and a way of a city that is different from your own.

SarahHeadsEast xx

PS Thank you to Isobel, your photographs are SOOOO much better than mine, so I hope you dont mind me using them!


Like this Post?
Click here for more of my Asian city-breaks in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur

No comments: