life is a series of adventures, not one great one. here's where the energy of my Renaissance Soul lies at the moment...
Teaching English in Hanoi, Vietnam

October 2, 2010

City of the Soaring Dragon

This month is simultaneously the best and worst time to be in Hanoi. In merely a week's time, the city will celebrate 1000 years as the capital of Vietnam, ever since Emperor Ly Thai To declared the movement of the capital in 1010 (ah, I remember it well...). All of this means that there are beautiful lights and lanterns around the lakes and streets, statues, banners, posters, open-air stages and other sorts of primping and preening of Hanoi's party frock in preparation for this momentous event.
The countdown clock which has been placed next to Hoan Kiem Lake stoically working up everybody's excitement for the last 993 days is now perilously close to the end. I remember spying this clock first on a trip through northern Vietnam and Laos in January 2009, and thinking what a nice thing it would be to actually be in Hanoi for the celebration. How lucky I am to be here now and how good then that I made good on my word...
I can forgive the extreme traffic congestion that has been the 'Hanoi Crazy' over the past week. It makes traveling anywhere in the city challenging-to-impossible. On these occasions I've abandoned my bicycle in favour of walking to work and thus slowing down to completely soak up the excitement. I dont care about the 'Crazy'. I love the 'Crazy'. The 'Crazy' is Hanoi As She Is. There's a palpable electricity in the city right now and I cant help but feel incredibly lucky that I'm here right now to plug into it all.
SarahHeadsEast xx

2 comments:

Jill said...

Beautiful and wonderful Hanoi. Yes I well remember the countdown clock at the lake and your promise to see it reach the party date. Ooooeer. How long ago was that? And here you are so very nearly there. Enjoy enjoy ...

Sarah said...

I know, the city is positively humming with electricity right now. Great time to be here...