life is a series of adventures, not one great one. here's where the energy of my Renaissance Soul lies at the moment...
Teaching English in Hanoi, Vietnam

October 7, 2010

Thăng Long

Heya Folks,
I'm blogging from a WiFi cafe again. Don't blame me, it's my new laptop. It demands to be taken out and take its rightful place amongst the expats tapping away in Jomas. It's slimline, light, suave and stylish, it screams 'Citizen Of The World!'. I love it.
The excitement in Hanoi in preparation for the weekend celebrations has now reached fever pitch. Apart from the loss of wages caused by traffic jams and cancelled classes (currently running at $50), I am so happy to be in Hanoi right now. The electric charge of the atmosphere is positively humming along the chaotic streets. I love that this is a celebration most definitely Not For The Tourists, with the souvenir T-shirts, ribbons and flags being sold for real prices to Vietnamese partygoers.
With Hanoi's brash and rapid expansion, it's sometimes easy to forget that this celebration has been 10 centuries in the making, and there are a whole host of chapters of Hanoi's history that deserve to be remembered and celebrated this weekend. I came across a photo exhibition in the park across from the Temple of Literature the other day, and adored the old postcard images of Hanoi's past. Here are my faves:
And Because it's just Awesome Hanoi...

SarahHeadsEast xx

No comments: