life is a series of adventures, not one great one. here's where the energy of my Renaissance Soul lies at the moment...
Teaching English in Hanoi, Vietnam

December 19, 2009

The Vietnamese photo pose



Hey folks,
I've finally cracked it! After much observation, the stance to be adopted when taking a photo in Vietnam is to raise your hands in a palm-out 'V' sign; bonus points for using both hands!
With my camera fixed, I set off this afternoon to the Temple of Literature to finally take the 'lesser-known' shots of this beautiful place. And here they are. I'm sure there wasnt a headless buffalo hidden among the topiary before. But here it is. I was amazed, and delighted, to find the temple almost empty today, most of the tourists having gone home for Christmas I presume.

Later on today, I met up with two Vietnamese friends, Nhung and Huong (of origami flower fame, for regular readers) and we took the bus to the Ethnology Museum, which is another of my favourite Hanoi spots. There was a mini water puppet performance taking place in the grounds, among the reconstructed dwellings of many Vietnamese ethnic groups. The majority of people there today were Vietnamese which struck me as a very good thing, that even though Hanoi is modernising and developing, people are still very much connected to their cultural roots.

Flagging a little, we wandered around the park opposite the museum, and then went for coffee in a local cafe. Once Brewed readers take note: I have had without a doubt the STRONGEST coffee of my life, and am now caffeine-fuelled!

SarahHeadsEast xx

No comments: