life is a series of adventures, not one great one. here's where the energy of my Renaissance Soul lies at the moment...
Teaching English in Hanoi, Vietnam

December 2, 2009

Not complaining, just noticing

Heya folks,
I'm beginning to notice more and more the emphasis that parents put and the lengths they go to to get their children to learn English. Its not enough to just have lessons in school, there are evening classes throughout the week and early morning weekend classes too. It's sad, but ultimately true, that Vietnamese youngsters need to know English in order to secure the top jobs and wages in the future.

The linguist in me (BA, Hons) worries that the Vietnamese language should be upheld and promoted in industries within the country, boosting both the economy and national pride. Maybe it is, I dont know enough about it. The EFL teacher in me is thankful for the abundance of teaching jobs in Hanoi.

Either way, it seems the least I can do is make an effort to learn the language of the country that has welcomed me so warmly...

SarahHeadsEast xxx

1 comment:

Jill said...

Sinh chow.Its shaming, isnt it? The same is true in Nepal. They need English to get a job in Kathmandu even one which doesnt bring contact with tourists. Thats because fewer than half of all Nepalis speak Nepali as their first language. The english they need to communicate with each other is Indian english anyway and little to do with a knowledge of or interest in England.
Your respect for Vietnamese will go a long way. My Nepali lessons really please my hosts. Even tho I speak it haltingly and rarely.