life is a series of adventures, not one great one. here's where the energy of my Renaissance Soul lies at the moment...
Teaching English in Hanoi, Vietnam

November 29, 2009

Celebrity Spotted

Hey all,
I'm famous in Hanoi. No really. No kidding. I've just finished my first morning teaching at the English Centre out in the Cau Giay district of Hanoi. No, I don't know where it is either. I was picked up by motorbike at 7.15am and driven bright-eyed and bushy-tailed to the centre, where I have just taught 4 lessons of 30 minutes each. At the end of each lesson, the students came up to me asking for my signature, waving their books and pens like papparazzi. Its enough to give one an inflated ego, if one weren't already a modest Virgo...

My inner Virgo likes to tell me that I didn't do well at the teaching thing this morning, but infact I rather enjoyed myself and I think the students did too. I had a grueling no-holds-barred Q&A in my last class, with such questions as 'Do you have a boyfriend?' and 'Why do you have red hair?'. Some games are universal, and we played 'Slap the Board' and 'Simon Says' in every lesson. And that great trans-continental cornerstone of TEFL.....'Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes' may even have been called upon once or twice.

With any luck I have impressed my enthusiasm on the centre director Ms Huong, and she may invite me back to teach regular weekend classes. Hurrah!

In other news, I have now arranged to begin my own language classes back at Hidden Hanoi, scene of many a happy morning earlier this year. As I completed the basic 'survival' Vietnamese course in March, I'm diving straight in with the intermediate level, in which I expect to be shocking. I have forgotten quite a bit in my 8month absence, so from now until my first class is revision all the way!

SarahHeadsEast xx

No comments: