life is a series of adventures, not one great one. here's where the energy of my Renaissance Soul lies at the moment...
Teaching English in Hanoi, Vietnam

November 23, 2009

Teachers Day

I have arrived in Hanoi on 'Teachers Day', which if I remember correctly from 2007, is celebrated in style with performances and gifts and flowers in schools all over Hanoi. Is this a good omen that I have arrived on the same day with my own teaching plans? Discuss.

All is well in Hanoi. I arrived tired and in the dark, and did little more than flop into bed, but awoke the next morning to see that my digs are spacious and well equipped. I have my own room with TV and DVD player, and WiFi courtesy of the office downstairs, so a complete Hanoi-bubble is possible! I lifted up the blinds in my room to see if I have any neighbours, and a gecko dropped onto the floor and scurried away. Seems I have some neighbours then. This is Hanoi, as she is.

Yesterday was a sunday, and not alot going on, so I have taken the opportunity to recover from the flight and wander round, discovering old haunts. Amongst them being Tamarind Cafe (Mum: they do takeaway Mango Lassi AND have free WiFi!). As is the way in Hanoi, many businesses are fairly transient and can pack up or move without warning, which I have discovered, sadly, is the fate of the Lemon Hotel as well as my favourite tailor shop. Tailors can be a bit hit-and-miss here, so a good one is to be treasured!

And to today. Later on this afternoon, I am to be collected and taken to the Children's Palace project for my teaching induction. Eek! Actually, scary as it may be, I'm quite looking forward to starting work here, as it will provide a focus and structure to my days in Hanoi. I'm hoping as well to begin again Vietnamese lessons at 'Hidden Hanoi' soon, scene of many a happy class in March.

Tam Biet for now,
SarahHeadsEast xx

2 comments:

Vivienne said...

Hi Sarah
Glad to see you've arrived safely and are rediscovering the delights of Hanoi. I'm envious of the Mango lassi anyway - still no sign of any mangoes in Nepal.
Have fun
Vivienne xx

Sarah said...

Hi Viv, thanks for your message, Mango Lassi was yummy but not the same as Pilgrims, cant believe there's no Lassi there :(. Hope you are still enjoying Nepal. Are you in Chitwan?